Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Thanksgiving: A Path to Worship

Over the past few weeks I have seen numerous friends on Facebook doing ’30 Days of Thanks’ with their statuses. People are thankful for things ranging from family and friends to their local Starbucks establishement and so it’s on Thanksgiving Eve that I’d like to share a few thoughts on giving thanks.

Let me start by saying that I am horrible at saying thank you, especially for daily common courtesies. I’m not sure why, but I doubt it has little to do with my upbringing. I was taught at home and in school to say thank you, but like many things, including my size 32 jeans, I outgrew them. And just like the jeans from my skinny days (I refuse to call them skinny jeans) I really should fit back into a healthy routine of saying thank you. I like to be helpful and do things for others but I always feel a bit awkward when people say, "Thank you". Most times I do what I do as a way of saying, "Thank you." And so receiving a "Thank you" in return for me saying "Thank you" in my deeds feels odd. I need to be a better giver and receiver of thanks.

For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened.—Romans 1:21

They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.—Romans 1:25

‘Thanks’ leads to ‘Worship’

These 2 verses and their context are helpful for us to understand the importance of ‘giving thanks’ because how we give thanks is directly connected to how we worship. There is a rhythm in how creation and Creator relate to each other and things go terribly wrong when that rhythm is disrupted. I love how Matt Chandler, pastor of The Village Church, describes how Christians ought to respond to all of creation. When it comes to the sorts of things I see people sharing on Facebook each day, those things ought to, in Chandler’s words "roll up into thanksgiving to God." There is a higher level of joy that goes beyond the actual thing itself. Our enjoyment of a meal ought to roll up in thanksgiving to God, our provider. Our enjoyment of a beautiful spring day ought to roll up in thanksgiving to God. Our enjoyment and delight in our spouse or kids ought to roll up in thanksgiving to our Creator, from whom every good and perfect gift comes. (James 1:17) These things for which we’re thankful lead us into a place of worship.

Unfortunately, being thankful doesn’t necessarily lead to a worship of God and, as we see in Romans 1, we can direct our worship toward created things. The very things that are intended to direct us toward worship of God are instead turned into gods, false idols. Rather than our worship ‘rolling up to God’ it instead rests on creation and creation makes for a lousy God. Bad things happen when we make our job, our health, our spouse, or our children an idol. How many families have suffered because a parent worshipped their job sacrificially? How many husbands or wives feel the burden of being their spouses source of joy and struggle to live up to it? How many kids connect their achievements to how much they will be loved by their parent? So be careful not to make the things you are thankful for a source of false worship. It’s when we worship God as God that we are free to enjoy creation for what it is, a blessing from God.

Tomorrow many of us will be sitting around tables full of food and surrounded by family and stating the things we are thankful for over the past year. Perhaps when we share things that we are thankful for we should do what Paul does earlier in Romans:

First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is being reported all over the world.—Romans 1:8

Don’t just make a list of the things you are thankful for. Put the list in an envelope, place a stamp on it and address it directly to the Creator.

No comments:

Post a Comment